Subject: Re: [boost] Once accepted, when does a library undergo further review?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-07 06:55:03

On 7 Jan 2014 at 5:10, Rob Stewart wrote:

> >> Also, more controversial features, techniques or ideas which wouldn't
> >> pass peer review are deliberately kept till after admission.
>
> I can only suppose that AFIO will be such a library if it should pass
> review some day, and that makes me uncomfortable.

I can only state my personal philosophy here: I deeply dislike
breaking ABI. I view it as a design failure on my part. Any
controversial features, techniques or ideas I would add to AFIO after
peer review would always be adjunct i.e. you can break them off as
standalones. Any ABI breakage to existing code would only ever be to
fix serious bugs, or to support the adjunct additions.

Ultimately it comes down to trust, and a reasonably vocal user base
who complain if large scale rewrites happen without anyone knowing in
advance.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/