Subject: Re: [boost] [Fibers] Performance
From: Thomas Heller (thom.heller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-16 09:49:21

On 01/16/2014 03:19 PM, Oliver Kowalke wrote:
> 2014/1/16 Thomas Heller <thom.heller_at_[hidden]>
>
>> It might not be very kind, but it reflects the current state of the
>> library. In addition, the library is not useful on the advertised
>> platforms. The PPC64 implementation of Boost.Context is not tested and does
>> not work (sure it's not the fault of Fiber per se), for example.
>>

> boost.context is irrelevant in this discussion.

I don't think so. Boost.Fiber builts on context and without a working
context implementation, the fiber is useless.

> do you think I've a machine for each architecture at home? I can only write
> the code if requested by some users and I have to rely on the willing of
> community members to test the code on the specific hardware.

Absolutely. But context is shipped with code for PPC64 so it should be
assumed it works.

> You asked me about boost.context support of PPC64 and I told you that the
> code is untested from my side and boost-regression tests do not exist for
> PPC64.
> But you did not respond to my email. As I did with other users it hoped
> that we could fix the problem together but I didn't get any feedback from
> you - don't blame me.

Yes, I got side tracked. I am not blaming you for not delivering a PPC64
Boost.Context implementation. When i get back to the project where i
need the context switch for PPC64, i will certainly get back to you. I
was just trying to point to a case where Fiber is not working (with no
indication in the docs or elsewhere). Sorry if you got the wrong impression.