Subject: Re: [boost] [docs][website] Can the docs on the website be xhtml + svg?
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-31 11:06:14

On 31 January 2014 13:42, Daniel James <dnljms_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 31 January 2014 13:29, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I've been investigating getting better equations and graphs into the Math
>> lib docs and one prerequisite seems to be serving up pages as XHTML rather
>> than HTML: without that SVG's simply do not display correctly (or at all) in
>> IE.
>
> Have you tried adding a doctype to the html file?

I'll explain a little further. In order to support existing web sites
Internet Explorer has two engines, the old one for "quirks mode" and
the new standards based engine. Our pages are currently displayed
using the old one which doesn't support SVG. Using an xml mime type is
one way to cause it to use the standards based engine, another way is
to use an appropriate doctype.

The ideal is the html5 doctype (<!DOCTYPE html>), but it doesn't seem
to be possible to change docbook to generate it. But hopefully it
would work with one of the html 4.01 doctypes:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

The first one will use "almost standards" mode, the second for
"standards". You could try checking out the 'feature/new-style'
boostbook branch and adding to your jamfile:

    -<xsl:param>boost.defaults=Boost
    <xsl:param>boost.defaults=Boost2

It's using the transitional doctype, and I'm not sure if that will
work. Strict might be better.