Subject: Re: [boost] [docs][website] Can the docs on the website be xhtml +svg?
From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-31 13:05:10

>>> I've been investigating getting better equations and graphs into the
>>> Math
>>> lib docs and one prerequisite seems to be serving up pages as XHTML
>>> rather
>>> than HTML: without that SVG's simply do not display correctly (or at
>>> all) in
>>> IE.
>>
>> Have you tried adding a doctype to the html file?

Yes, generating xhtml adds:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="US-ASCII" standalone="no"?>

As the doctype header, so everything is working fine locally (albeit I need
to cleanup/modify a lot of our SVG's to make them platform independent, but
that's a whole other issue), but I assume there's no way I can test it with
Boost's webserver until we actually produce a release, which is a little
late.

However, now that you've jogged my memory(!), I see there are some docbook
xsl params for setting the document type and adding:

        <xsl:param>chunker.output.doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
        <xsl:param>chunker.output.doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"

To the build options produces output which looks OK locally, and as it's
HTML it doesn't need to be served as xml either, so I think that's problem
solved!

Thanks! John.

PS You could use the above mechanism to get a HTML 5 doctype - however it's
unlikely that boostbook actually generates valid HTML?