Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Convert. Take 2.
From: Vladimir Batov (Vladimir.Batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-10 16:45:58

On 02/11/2014 02:23 AM, Edward Diener wrote:
> On 2/9/2014 10:58 PM, Vladimir Batov wrote:
> I would strongly suggest updating the docs for the library. Also
> either add in to the new docs the differences between the original
> version and the new version, or just include both the old and new
> version docs so that end-users could easily see what has changed.

Indeed. Docs are must. I started re-writing over the weekend but then
thought I'd check with the community first -- maybe there was already a
solution that I missed or there was no interest to begin with.

> I would be glad to be the review manager of the new library, if
> necessary, if you wanted the new library added to the Boost review
> queue once you felt everything was complete. OTOH I would also
> understand if you wanted someone else to be the review manager.
Thank you for your offer of managing the proposal (if we come to that).
It's much and truly appreciated. I was very happy with the way you
managed the first proposal and your thorough analysis. I can't fathom
why I might want someone else.

>> std::locale rus_locale (rus_locale_name);
>> std::locale eng_locale ("");
>>
>> // Set locale, case, precision,
>> ccnv(std::setprecision(4))(std::scientific)(std::nouppercase);
>>
>> string double_rus = convert<string>::from(double_v01,
>> ccnv(rus_locale)).value();
>> string double_eng = convert<string>::from(double_v01,
>> ccnv(eng_locale)).value();
>
> Offhand this looks better. As I recall a general criticism was that
> you were trying to do too much in the convert library rather than just
> focusing in on 'convert' as a better, more flexible replacement than
> lexical_cast. Sometimes les is more <g>.

"Too much and too messy" was indeed my ultimate feeling back then. Now
the split seems to make quite a difference; looks dead simple and more
configurability.