Subject: Re: [boost] clang on mingw
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-04 13:54:31

On 4 Mar 2014 at 19:38, Lars Viklund wrote:

> > The MinGW-w64 page states that SEH is only patented for x86, not on x64,
> > which is why the 32 bit version only has Dwarf or SJLJ as options. The 64
> > bit version is SEH or SJLJ.
>
> If you intend to ever post about SEH to the cfe-dev@ (Clang) list,
> don't bother.
>
> All discussion on the subject or even of laying groundwork for SEH or
> implementing something similiar under a generic name will be immediately
> shut down and gagged.

I'd imagine as soon as the patent expires you'll see much more open
discussion about SEH. Until then no one is going to feed the lawyers.
Do remember clang is pretty much exclusively developed by large
corporate entities, and those engineers know not to worry Legal or
it's a whole load of hassle. I speak from experience at BlackBerry
where I once worried Legal and very much regretted it for the many
months of never ending hassle later.

I will say this though: there is a whole ton of incentive for clang
to become perfectly substitutable for MSVC. Just think of the Visual
Studio annual licensing costs per developer seat, and you're starting
to see how much incentive there is. I wouldn't be surprised if such a
clang edition sees very rapid progress as soon as legally possible.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work in Ireland.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/