Subject: [boost] Application need a Review Manager. Anyone is interested?
From: Renato Forti (rtforti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-20 11:10:44

>> So do a ton of other libraries waiting in the review queue.

>> One trend I've noticed in recent reviews is that the libraries which
find review managers are small, sometimes very small. It might be
worth breaking up Application into smaller libraries if you want a
faster review.

 I think that I can split it.

>> Equally, AFIO has 1000 active lines of code, and I very much doubt
it'll see a review manager any time soon. I'm thinking maybe next
year it might

>> (I will speak at C++ Now introducing the session on the
Future of Boost, which will mention AFIO :) ).

Nice! I will check!

>> FYI, I'd just love if Application's design rationale told me why and
how it's similar or different to Boost.Process. Process is one of the
most popular non-official Boost libraries out there.

Well, I think that are totally different.

Quick, Boost.Process is used to start a new process, Boost.Application is
the process in fact. Boost.Application provides a model/environment to
build any application, not start an application.

Some features are:

With it you can deploy your application as server (service on windows, and
daemon on unix). It provides a plug-in system tool and other facilities
(like aspects) that will help developer on application development.

It provides a way to create other applications modes, e.g. Apache http
server module.

Some references:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/756866/Build-a-Server-Application-using-Application-Libra

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/695937/Creating-a-New-Application-Mode