Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts on Boost v2
From: Sergey Popov (loonycyborg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-16 20:52:13

On Fri, 16 May 2014 17:22:27 -0600
"Niall Douglas" <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> It proposes we eliminate build systems by making the entire thing a
> graph database compiling per-type rather than per-file.

Well, I've read that part and I'm not convinced it's a good idea.
Buildsystem handles not only C++ but other toolchains and tasks. Once
compiler writers get around to making their compilers cloud based and
treat all cpp files as one enormous translation unit this can be
integrated into a build tool as single step. Until then build tools can
handle C++ dependencies by scanning header files and exchanging
information between separate projects using tools like pkg-config. For
now it's best to improve on this.