Subject: Re: [boost] date_time -> serialization (Was: spirtit -> serialization)
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-19 09:10:19

adding complexity.

+1 - And on top of that, some 'snags' with the hard/symlinks are emerging.

At the very least, they make using the MS IDE (and others?) error prone.

> "As long as people keep checking out the complete Boost tree and use
monolithic
> Boost distribution, the effect of our work will be relatively small. But our
goal is
> modular Boost, which includes modular distribution, as I understand it."
>
> The whole purpose of the exercise is to eliminate the requirement to checkout
the
> complete boost tree. If we're going to assume that this is going to continue
> indefinitely we can just stop right now and declare some sort of victory.
>
> The whole "optional component issue" hasn't been properly considered. The key
> miss-step is in the idea that one library is dependent upon another library.
This
> concept cannot be defined. It is our equivalent to an "undecidable
proposition"

> As an example take the date-time library. For a user who is just going to
invoke the
> basic functions - the serialization implementation should not be considered
while for
> users that do use these functions it has to be.
>
> So you say - OK - we'll just make another submodule date-time/serialization.
At this
> point you've basically given up on the idea that there is an unambiguous
answer to
> the question - is the date-time library dependent upon the serialization
library? the
> real answer is - can't say without more information.
>
> So now you say - well, that's all theoretical BS if we just make another
submodule -
> we'll avoid the whole problem.
>
> But what about a user who needs to run tests on the one or other of the
libraries.
> For example, the serialization library tests depend upon system and file
system. The
> date-time library might depend upon boost test.
>
> Upshot is that it makes no sense to argue that library X is dependent upon
library Y
> without considering a specific application.
>
> So once you've eliminated circular dependencies - which is bug you should
stop.

+1

At least until we see some clear signs that we are going get benefits from
Modular Boost.

Paul

PS Meanwhile we *must* get a release out.

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB