Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Pipeline -- scheduling of segments
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-09 21:17:03

> Hartmut, thanks for the HPX example, I haven't got the time to analyze it
> yet.
>
> Currently, I'm experimenting with coroutines, I think (hope) there is a
> way
> we could provide an interface like this:
>
> void duplicate(int input, queue_back<int>& output)
> {
> output.push_or_yield(input);
> output.push_or_yield(input);
> }
>
> push_or_yield enqueues the element, or if the queue is full: the coroutine
> yields and tries to enter the monitor of the downstream task. If it's
> already taken, pick another task. If there is no such task, block until a
> task becomes available. (or spin on the previous task a bit)
>
> I think this would have nice (configurable) latency characteristics.

To explain things: HPX creates a coroutine (i.e. hpx::thread) for each
hpx::async. The returned future can be used to synchronize with the thread's
execution. The overhead of one such thread is in the range of 700-900ns, so
you can easily spawn fairly small amounts of work (i.e. segments) and still
be efficient. Creating of millions (literally!) of such threads is not a
problem either. HPX implements almost all of the Standards TS related to
concurrency and parallelism (N4088, N4104, N4107 - see here:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2014/) which makes the
returned futures very versatile and - together with the other proposed
extensions - composable in many contexts.

One added benefit of HPX is that all of this works across machines. You can
have the same functionality as outlined in a distributed application.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu