Subject: Re: [boost] Use of third-party libraries
From: Michael Shepanski (mps_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-23 22:35:42

On 24/07/2014 12:28 AM, Roland Bock wrote:
> I guess that you would not want to maintain the backends for the umpteen
> databases.

+1

> I don't know what the best approach is. Maybe you provide
> backends for the most popular databases and let others provide backends
> for the rest?

I'll definitely be doing that, but it leaves open the question of how to
organise it.

> I don't think that there is a precedent for this situation.
>
> Personally, I would prefer the individual repositories. It makes it
> easier to distribute the work load and you would not have to decide
> which databases to include in the main repositories and which to keep
> out. It would therefore also emphasize the vendor neutrality of the main
> library.

I agree that any approach I take should be uniform, i.e. not one
approach for some databases and another approach for others.

I take your point about the benefit of multiple git repositories to aid
distributed development efforts. To be clear: that is separate from the
question "One .lib output or many?", and also separate from the question
"One subdir of boost/libs or many?"

Regards,
--- Michael