Subject: Re: [boost] sqlpp11, 3rd iteration
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-19 19:54:40

On 20/08/2014 00:49, Roland Bock wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, you should be more happy with the current
> implementation then: As of today, depending on the compile-time
> configuration in the connector you have the following possible behaviors:
>
> You can always check for NULL by calling is_null. But if you ignore the
> outcome and try to obtain the value of a field which happens to be NULL
>
> Variant A: an exception is thrown
> Variant B: the "trivial" value is returned, 0 for numbers.
>
> The Variant is chosen at compile time.

That seems like a reasonable justification for not using optional, then,
as optional isn't configurable in this way.

If you made your type implicitly convertible to optional and back, that
ought to make everybody happy. :) (Well, except maybe the folks who
hate implicit conversions, but they're never happy.)