Subject: Re: [boost] List of C++ 11 only Boost libraries and their status?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-28 20:45:39

On 28 Nov 2014 at 13:19, Robert Ramey wrote:

> Niall Douglas wrote
> > For dependency management, you're probably not going to like my
> > solution as I don't either, but essentially you git submodule all
> > your library dependencies into your include directory, so
> > library/include/boost/library/submodule. You then go ahead and use
> > them directly, so instead of:
> >
> > #include "boost/spinlock/spinlock.hpp"
> >
> > you do:
> >
> > #include "spinlock/include/boost/spinlock/spinlock.hpp"
>
> Well for once we do agree - I don't like it either!

If anyone can suggest *any*, any at all better solution I am
genuinely all ears. It has to work standalone/modular as well as
within the collective Boost.

> Right now we have all the boost library modules in a "flat" list at the
> same level of the library / application I'm working on.

I am already running into surprises from nested git submodules. For
example, AFIO is dependent (in develop branch) on BindLib and
Expected and Spinlock. Each of Expected (my branch) and Spinlock is
also dependent on BindLib, but Spinlock is also dependent on Expected
which is again dependent on BindLib.

That turns into four nested copies of BindLib. I somehow find that
objectionable, even though they're all the same copy :(. But I cannot
think of a better way unfortunately.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting