Subject: Re: [boost] [RPC] Compile-time reflection for RPC and mocking
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-12-11 07:02:12

On 12/09/2014 03:40 PM, Peter Bindels wrote:

> Who's "We" ? Given the powerful abilities that you can get with async and

"We" are anybody who follows the general developments in cloud
computing and Internet-of-Things, and anybody who has witnessed the
stagnation of RPC over the past decade. I am not claiming the demise of
RPC, but rather pointing out that there are more fertile ground out
there.

RPC is inherently restricted to the request-reply interaction pattern,
but there are many more interaction patterns that are useful; for
instance, the publish-subscribe pattern is widely used in sensor
networks. You can quite easily build the various interaction patterns
on top of messaging; trying to build them on top of RPC is going to be
quite a challenge.

> future/promise, coupled with easy remoting with some rpc in between that
> gives the same interface, would lead me to believe RPC is due for a

Regarding the API, I suggest that you investigate asio::async_result
rather than focusing exclusively on promise/future.

> Sounds like an interesting proposal, but quite different. Also, it looks
> like a client library for that would be more like a separate HTTP client
> project, not as a companion project. How's the boost acceptance status of
> this project?

It was a GSoC project this summer. It has not been submitted for review
yet.