Subject: [boost] [chrono][multiprecision][gsoc] Project proposal, looking for feedback and mentor.
From: Damian Vicino (damian.vicino_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-02-03 15:28:47

Hi,
I’m collaborating with other students working in “Simulation Driven Development” (SimDD), mostly for embed systems.

The main idea in SimDD is modelling complete systems (not necessarily software) and make simulations of them. Once the simulation has the expected results start replacing some sub-models (software pieces) by real application code. The pieces that are not replaced are used to provide testing facilities.

The main fields where this SimDD is used are robotics and embed systems. Where you can clearly separate models in three groups: the software, the interaction (i.e. sensors) and the environment. The software is what you are developing, the environment is the things the software will interact with and the sensors are what info the software gets from the environment and how.
When the software is ready, it interacts with the sensors and the simulated environment for testing. Once tested in simulated environments it can be implemented in real world.

In this context, I work in time representation problems for discrete event simulation and I will like to propose some additions to the Boost library as GSOC project.
— Adding a clock to chrono for virtual simulation time, so models and real code can both work using same library for time representation.
— Adding multi base support for multi-precision library.
— Adding the option for an accurate mode to multi-precision (meaning a failure should happen when the result requires to be rounded and, if possible, detected at compile time).
— Supporting multi base multi-precision in chrono.
— For sure, documentation and tests included for everything.

Is anybody interested in these additions?
Can you provide some feedback about them?
Is anybody interested in be my mentor for GSOC in this project?

In the last year, I had being working in a general-purpose Discrete Event Simulation library as a side-project that I hope to contribute to boost.
The library was submit for registration to blincubator today and in the following days I will be uploading it.

Best regards,
Damian Vicino