Subject: [boost] Interest in non-intrusive signal/slot lib?
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-11 22:25:26

Hello,

I realize that Boost has Signals library already, but I've implemented a
non-intrusive one which approaches the problem differently, and I'm pretty
sure that there is no overlap between the two. It turned out more generic
than I originally anticipated, so I thought I'd ask if others would find it
useful as well.

Specifically I was motivated by wanting to use Qt without MOCing. I asked
the Qt community if that was possible which generated several rather
annoyed negative responses. :) The issue is that while in Qt it's possible
to use any function as a Slot, to define a new Qt signal for an existing Qt
type one needs to derive from the Qt type, define the signal (as a member
function) and do the MOC dance -- which I wanted to avoid.

The result is a small, non-intrusive signals/slots library that allows
objects of any type to be used as signal emitters, e.g. one of the included
examples shows how signals can be emitted by a Windows HWND object.

Documentation and source code released under the Boost license can be found
here: http://www.revergestudios.com/boost-synapse/.

Thanks,
Emil

P.S. Thanks to Peter Dimov for his feedback and for coming up with the name
Synapse. :)