Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts on Trac wiki page commenting facility
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-31 06:39:02

On 30 May 2015 at 20:06, Rene Rivera wrote:

> 4. Move the wiki to something like Wordpress or Drupal (etc) which has
> built-in support for commenting. And along the way integrate the wiki and
> the website into one site for easier management, cross-referencing, and
> community involvement.

Michael Caisse has volunteered to look into options for a complete
revamp of the Boost main website, with deep integration of all the
other Boost assets into a single unified web presence. I would expect
even a report on possible options to be many months away, and any
deployment of a solution up to a year away at least. He mentioned
doing some django custom web service programming, so this is a lot of
work.

I've just volunteered to look into upgrading Trac from v0.12 to v1.0
which if possible or successful would gain github integration, so
Trac would become reasonably well aware of github including logins,
source commits, and issues. Just the ability to login with your
github account I think would be enormously useful.

Regarding Drupal or Wordpress as choices, both have poor to terrible
maintenance costs and would require very substantially increased
workload from the web team. Trac has the huge advantage of being
exceptionally low maintenance, indeed we've been on an unpatched not
upgraded ancient version for years now, and no security problems.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/