Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts on Trac wiki page commenting facility
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-05-31 06:53:18

On 31 May 2015 at 9:18, Thomas Trummer wrote:

> > 4. Move the wiki to something like Wordpress or Drupal (etc) which has
> > built-in support for commenting. And along the way integrate the wiki and
> > the website into one site for easier management, cross-referencing, and
> > community involvement.
>
> Makes sense. However, is there really a need for comments on the wiki?

I'm expecting
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BestPracticeHandbook to be
riddled with errors, and I am looking for some method for people to
easily correct my mistakes.

> On most websites where this is possible the comments usually are either
> spam or sitting there for years without resulting in anything.

The first option I presented requires a trac login, so that should
prevent spam.

The second option has excellent automated spam removal.

> Now, having comments on Github, that would be something...

Github internally does pull requests as opening an issue, and
therefore commenting on the pull request diff works. Without a pull
request, it has no way of storing and tracking comments on code over
time, at least not in a way exposable to git.

Michael Caisse is looking into Atlassian for Boost, and I believe
that has a code commenting tool.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting