Subject: Re: [boost] BOOST_NO_CXX11_CONSTEXPR and msvc-14.0
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-07-24 09:11:01

On 23 July 2015 at 21:26, Chris Glover <c.d.glover_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > No, it's entirely serious. But then I'm a fan of MSVC and especially
> > the team they have behind it whom are all seriously impressive
> > engineers at least out of the ones I've met. MSVC has lots of
> > outstanding features no other compiler has:
> >
> > * It's vastly faster to compile, like 5x-10x faster as it's not an
> > AST based compiler like clang and GCC.
> >

> I find this claim interesting because in my (anecdotal) experience over the
> past few years, MSVC is significantly slower than Clang. It seems to be
> generally accepted that MSVC is the fastest, but that is just not my
> experience.

I'm also surprised with this statement (as a msvc-first user but still use
clang and gcc regularly, but on linux).
Maybe Niall meant mingw instead of gcc.
I don't know how to compare msvc with clang on windows, last time I checked
clang was not ready for production so it wouldn't be a fair comparison.
There also seems to be very different performance characteristics depending
on the kind of code
(metaprog, etc.) from the different compilers so maybe Niall is in a very
specific context.