Subject: Re: [boost] Policy for individual library versioning
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-10-15 11:34:13

On 15.10.2015 18:19, Louis Dionne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder whether there is a policy for how to version individual Boost
> libraries. Should individual libraries follow their own versioning scheme,
> or should they stick to the Boost versioning scheme?
>
> For example, Hana is currently in v0.4 and following Semantic Versioning[1].
> I am wondering whether I should change Hana's version to 1.60.0 when it will
> be released with Boost 1.60.0, and from then on follow that versioning scheme
> (and drop Semantic Versioning, which I'm OK with). Hence, I would bump to
> 1.61.0 when Boost 1.61.0 is released, and so on. The other option is to
> stick with my current versioning scheme and simply document the correspondence
> between Hana vA.B.C and Boost vX.Y.Z.
>
> Is there any agreed-upon way to handle this?

I don't think there is a Boost-wide policy. Some libraries use both
versions, see Boost.Log for instance[1]. The Boost version is convenient
for users because for now Boost releases are distributed as a single
package. However, if you plan to also release your library separately,
you might want to keep your own version numbers as well. This will also
help you if Boost transits to a completely modular distribution.

[1]:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_59_0/libs/log/doc/html/log/changelog.html