Subject: Re: [boost] [build] How do I build for windows phone?
From: Mikael Olenfalk (mikael.olenfalk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-05 05:15:34

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 8:42 PM, John Maddock <jz.maddock_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 04/11/2015 19:20, Vladimir Prus wrote:
>

>> Hi John,
>>
>> On 04-Nov-15 8:54 PM, John Maddock wrote:
>>
>>> Boost.Build evidently has options for building for windows store and
>>> windows phone. The store builds work fine for me,
>>> but the phone builds fail as there is no compiler on the command line
>>> generated:
>>>
>>> ../../../bjam config_info msvc-14.0 windows-api=phone -d2
>>>
>>> ...found 179 targets...
>>> ...updating 5 targets...
>>>

>> This was previously reported, at:
>>
>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/263303
>>
>> I believe Visual Studio team is aware of the problem, but there's no
>> public URL to track the progress.
>>

> Oh :(

I reached out to them again to verify if the fix is in Update 1 RC or if it
will make it in Update 1. In the meantime adding
"/AI $pathto\store\references" in cppflags should solve the problem
mentioned in Vladimirs email above, for example like this: cl /ZW /EHsc
cxtest.cpp /AI "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
14.0\VC\lib\store\references"

Your problem seems to be different though (missing compiler from compiler
command line?) I haven't seen that yet.

Along with a screen message saying the app can't be run on my PC.

>>> Any ideas?
>>

>> This was:
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/build/pull/26
>>
>> As you can see from the last comment, there is no longer any interest in
>> having testing
>> for Windows Runtime to work.

I don't think that is a correct statement, it seems like that pull request
was canceled because he left MS.

>> Are you asking with the general coverage in mind, or do you have
>> particular motivation to
>> add Windows Runtime support?

I also would like to be able to run the winrt tests automatically, the
solution in PR#26 seems like a good first step. Another solution which I
have been pondering is a solution similar to
https://github.com/phonegap/ios-sim where a little tool is used to
trampoline into the sandbox and report back results to the command line.
But such a solution involves quite a bit of work and I haven't had time to
look into it too much yet.

Similar work should be required to automatically run boost tests for iOS
and Android so it might make sense to see if we can add some tooling for it.

/M