Subject: Re: [boost] [doc] Liven up Boost Documentation with Java Script?
From: Krzysztof Jusiak (krzysztof_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-26 06:58:30

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 3:18 PM, Krzysztof Jusiak <krzysztof_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Rob Stewart <rob.stewart_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
>> On February 24, 2016 9:50:13 AM EST, Krzysztof Jusiak <
>> krzysztof_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> > Dear Boosters,
>> >
>> > I'm writing to ask about your opinion regarding more interactive
>> > documentation for Boost.
>> [snip]
>> > I would like to know what the Boost community thinks
>> > about having following
>> > features in the documentation...
>> >
>> > * Run the code online (allows to check library with one click)
>>
>> I see no value in that. The library is supposed to be in good working
>> order and I wouldn't care to verify that from the docs. Instead, I'd expect
>> a link to where such things can be viewed and managed.
>>
>> I just looked at the DI docs and I now see that you meant being able to
>> run sample code shown in the docs. If the sample program was somehow
>> interactive or the code was editable such that one could experiment with
>> it, then I can see the value.
>>
>> Your "Run this code!" button hides some of the code!
>>

> Yea, that was my point for the user to be able to easily experiment before
> really trying the library. A lot of users won't download the library and
> check it out, but IMHO, some of them
> may actually click the button and check what will happen. Moreover, some
> users (me, for example) when see code example are curious what will happen
> if...
> Documentation will not cover all cases, but if user can quickly check it
> might be beneficial, I think.
> If it comes to interaction itself, I was thinking of creating an
> interactive tutorial for the users. For example, a lot of people do not see
> benefits in dependency injection and having
> a quick exercise to adopt code with or without DI could have changed their
> mind.
>
> One of the examples where user can interact a bit more...
> http://boost-experimental.github.io/di/extensions/index.html#types-dumper

Another example of having online compilation handy is to show code
performance.
For example, with Boost.DI I claim that simple value bindings will generate
following ASM-x86-64:
// ASM x86-64 (same as `return 42`)
mov $0x2a,%eax
retq

However, user can be curious what will happen if I do something else (like
in https://gcc.godbolt.org/), with online compiler you can do that too for
your library.
Example here ->
http://boost-experimental.github.io/di/overview/index.html#performance

Sorry for replaying to myself, I was just thinking it might be useful
sharing that.