Subject: Re: [boost] [clang][preprocessor] Testing of clang emualting the VC++ preprocessor on Windows
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-05 10:18:34

On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 4:59 PM, degski <degski_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi Andrey,
>
>> I don't think Google is an adequate example. From what I've seen,
>> their coding policy is rather primitive and until recent attempts to
>> cautiously use select C++11 features it was mostly C with classes.
>> Boost, on the other hand, has always used C++ to its full power. No
>> wonder that many weaker compilers choke at Boost.
>
> The point I was trying to make was not whether or not google writes good
> code (it seems they have 50k commits a day, you seem to dismiss that
> readily),

The commit rate has nothing to do with code quality or C++ use. And I
wasn't talking about code quality at all.

> but rather that it apparently is possible to have a fruitfull
> dialog with M$ about bugs in their latest compiler, herewith suggesting
> that boost enter into a dialog with M$. I would think that boost carries
> certainly more weight than the google chrome project.

There is no "Boost" that could enter into dialog. The guy from Google
you referenced to was paid for doing his job on reporting compiler
bugs. I would guess that work took considerable amount of time, too.
That is not something that could happen in a volunteer driven
community. At best you could hope that particular developers
interested in MSVC and Windows would be eager enough to report bugs to
MS, but that is unlikely to be the case for every Boost developer.
That is especially unlikely given the poor quality of MSVC over the
years.