Subject: Re: [boost] modular-boost doc ?
From: alainm (alain.miniussi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-26 05:01:45

On 25/04/2016 20:49, Robert Ramey wrote:
> On 4/25/16 11:02 AM, alainm wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Would it be possible to have a pointer to the documentation related with
>> the modular boost git mess under the "development" item of the boost
>> main page ? it seems at least as important as some stuff like "Coding
>> Guidelines for Integral Constant Expressions".
>
> Think bigger. Propose that all the information on the boost web pages
> be re-organized to make it easier to browse and add new pages too.
I guess that would be nice, but bigger tends to to happen and my concern
is a lot more basic:
I try to find some time every now and then to work on boost, typically,
there is a few months separation without modular-boost
between 2 such tentatives.
I guess it would not be that difficult with some basic versionning tool
(I mean I do most of my work with 3 subversion command).
The problem is that with that fabulous git and modular boost Great
Migration, understanding how to perform advance task such
as checkout, update, commit etc. requires reading a few pages of
documentation explaining that sure-it-sucks-but-someone-got-a-workaround.
Git, along with modular boost workarounds, are something I am likely to
forget after a few months (if only as a defense mechanism I guess).
So, since those pages exists, and assuming boost development is
considered a relevant issue for boost, having access to those
workaround without requesting a google search would relieve the pain
(and,maybe, encourage contributions ?).

But maybe that's just me.

Alain