Subject: Re: [boost] modular-boost doc ?
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-26 07:53:01

On 26.04.2016 05:01, alainm wrote:

> On 25/04/2016 20:49, Robert Ramey wrote:
>> On 4/25/16 11:02 AM, alainm wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to have a pointer to the documentation related
>>> with
>>> the modular boost git mess under the "development" item of the boost
>>> main page ? it seems at least as important as some stuff like "Coding
>>> Guidelines for Integral Constant Expressions".
>>
>> Think bigger. Propose that all the information on the boost web
>> pages be re-organized to make it easier to browse and add new pages too.
> I guess that would be nice, but bigger tends to to happen and my
> concern is a lot more basic:
> I try to find some time every now and then to work on boost,
> typically, there is a few months separation without modular-boost
> between 2 such tentatives.
> I guess it would not be that difficult with some basic versionning
> tool (I mean I do most of my work with 3 subversion command).
> The problem is that with that fabulous git and modular boost Great
> Migration, understanding how to perform advance task such
> as checkout, update, commit etc. requires reading a few pages of
> documentation explaining that sure-it-sucks-but-someone-got-a-workaround.
> Git, along with modular boost workarounds, are something I am likely
> to forget after a few months (if only as a defense mechanism I guess).
> So, since those pages exists, and assuming boost development is
> considered a relevant issue for boost, having access to those
> workaround without requesting a google search would relieve the pain
> (and,maybe, encourage contributions ?).
>
> But maybe that's just me.

It's definitely not. I'm in a very similar situation: I unfortunately
don't have the time any longer to work on Boost.Python continuously, but
I do have "windows" of availability every now and then. This means each
time I have to remind myself how to perform basic task, and I regularly
get stuck there, which is highly frustrating. Instead of focusing on the
tasks itself I end up spending time re-learning how to use the Boost
build system, how to edit docs, etc.. All tasks that only exist because
Boost has grown its own toolsets.
And the fact that https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ is horribly
out-of-date doesn't help at all.

So, right now I'm trying to decouple Boost.Python as much as I can (and
whenever I can, see above), so I don't have to pay attention to all that
energy that others are able to pour into discussions about Boost.Build,
CMake, etc.

In other words, instead of trying to convince others to improve Boost in
one way or another (boy was I naive !), I'm trying to decouple
Boost.Python as much as possible from the rest of Boost, as that's the
only chance to move forward. I'm afraid "think bigger" is not a
practical advice.

    Stefan