Subject: Re: [boost] New library? CallableTraits
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-13 11:22:56

On 5/13/2016 2:28 AM, Barrett Adair wrote:
> I posted about this a month ago, but I did not receive much response. Since
> then, I added an extended example use case, and I added a documentation
> section [1] that compares CallableTraits and Boost.FunctionTypes.
>
> I received some positive feedback this week in Aspen, and r/cpp also seemed
> to respond well [2], so I thought I'd give this another shot.
>
> Here are my questions for you:
>
> 1. Is there any interest in reviewing a future version of this for
> inclusion in Boost?
> 2. If so, does this belong in its own library, or should it be incorporated
> into Boost.TypeTraits or something similar?
> 3. What you like to see added, removed, renamed, or redesigned?
>
> I'd say CallableTraits is about 85% finished. Here's what's left:
> * Add INVOKE semantics to a couple of things for consistency (arity, etc)
> * Remove unused/undocumented code
> * Account for transaction_safe and C++17 noexcept
> * Finish/test the calling convention features
> * Finish/update the reference documentation
> * Write even more tests

I will give my usual reaction to documentation that consists mainly of
long examples and a reference. Actually create an overview that explains
the functionality of your library. This would consist of explaining what
your library actually is supposed to do, grouped by areas of general
functionality with simple short examples for each area of general
functionality you discuss. Your overview doesn't have to be perfect,
none are, but at least it's an attempt to tell others what the practical
uses of your library may be.

BTW, what is MSVC19 supposed to represent ? I assume this is a misprint.