Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Evolution
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-19 13:08:33

On 17 May 2016 at 11:37, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> There is one big lesson from all this:
>
> a) Boost is not a company - we don't take direction from the top.
> b) Boost is not a government - we actually do something.
> c) Boost is a religion - want something changed, start preaching. Get
> other people on board. Convince people people to start doing something.

Boost is not a religion. It's a set of tools; no more, no less.

Does Boost have to evolve? Of course it does, because the world around it
has evolved. It came about when it was 13 years between releases of the
standard, and there were a lot of obvious-in-retrospect libraries
(especially vocabulary types) missing (shared_ptr, function, optional,
variant, any, etc.). Now it is 3 years between standard releases, and in
some ways making a proposal directly to the committee is easier if you want
to get your library out there: shorter commitment, only need one
implementation, no need to support that implementation for years under
multiple compilers, etc.

--
 Nevin ":-)" Liber  <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden] <nevin_at_[hidden]>>
+1-847-691-1404