Subject: Re: [boost] [EXTERNAL] Request for a "Policy Review" regarding 'CMakeLists.txt'
From: Paul Fultz II (pfultz2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-19 13:55:54

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 11:18:44 AM UTC-5, Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:

> > On May 18, 2016, at 12:52 PM, Vladimir Prus <vladim..._at_[hidden]
> <javascript:>> wrote:

> >> Rene has made it clear that it was prohibited by the guidelines, and
> >> Vladimir is opposed to it.
> >
> > I am specifically opposed to permitting cmake stuff at root level of
> > a library while requiring that Boost.Build files are in the 'build'
> directory.
> > This objection can be addressed by either allowing all of that at the
> root
> > (not really facetious suggestion), or by requiring that all build files
> > be under 'build' directory - which has the advantage of actually
> scaling,
> > and apparently is possible with all possible build systems. In the
> latter
> > case the guidelines might be amended to say that library author can add
> > additional build systems support, though in practice we already have
> makefiles
> > and VS solutions and what not.
>
> I’d like to see the CMake files in the same locations as the Jamfiles so
> we have a consistent layout for build and test across Boost.

I am opposed to this, and what we are proposing is allowing Cmake at the
top-level. I have yet to see a technical issue with this. It is true that
the cmake is more prominent then the bjam, but it is also better supported
for those libraries that put CMakeLists.txt at the top-level. Boost.Hana,
for example, has a more extensive test-suite when using cmake.