Subject: Re: [boost] [fiber] Suggestions regarding asio
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-09-25 14:18:57

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Tatsuyuki Ishi
<ishitatsuyuki_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I'm now searching for an alternative and why.
>
> Asio sucks in the following point:
> Its design is incapable to save system calls by doing a batch poll.
> Its design doesn't allow the user to specify a timeout, which is essential
> in suspend_until.
> It lacks of useful things for a coroutine-based system like filesystem
> operations.

A refined iteration on Boost.Asio is poised to become part of the C++
standard library (see
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2016/n4588.pdf).
Once this becomes standardized, I would imagine that all other
low-level networking implementations for C++ are going to go away over
time - after all, why would someone bother with an additional
dependency when such functionality is already offered by the standard
library?

Therefore, if you feel there are deficiencies in either the interface
of Boost.Asio, or the implementation of Boost.Asio I urge you to
contact the author and the networking working group and present
actionable claims. Its not too late to make justifiable interface
changes now.