Subject: Re: [boost] (Boost) Synapse update
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-09-26 19:40:43

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Emil Dotchevski <emildotchevski_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> Synapse is a signal-programming library similar to the Qt signal/slot
> system and Boost Signals 2. The difference is that Synapse is
> non-intrusive: any object of any static type whatsoever can serve as an
> emitter.

I'm all for alternatives in this area.. And because I happen to have needed
to implement a quick and dirty signal class for a use case I have. So
perhaps you can help me out in answering some questions (that I didn't see
answered immediately in the docs)..

What are the dependencies of the library?

You mention ignoring the return value of connected functions, aka slots.
What if I need to not ignore those return values and do something special?
In my use case I need to short circuit the dispatch on true (bool) returns.
Can I alter the dispatching?

How lightweight is the resulting code? In my use case I prefer less code &
lower memory use, for example I look for opportunities to use small-object
/ embedded-object.

I don't need multi-thread safety at all. Is your code flexible enough to
remove that safety code?

And if you are wondering.. My use case is implementing a web application
client front-end in C++ by compiling with emscripten, with possibly other
non-web client UIs with shared code base. Which means I'm implementing an
abstract UI and application system to deal with this.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything