Subject: Re: [boost] Asynchronous library now in Boost Library Incubator
From: Christophe Henry (christophe.j.henry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-11-28 05:36:56

Hi Michael,

>Thank you for submitting this library to the the incubator in

>preparation for a review. I saw your presentation in 2014

>and I believe that this library solves a common problem.

>My first question: I see that the library is listed as C++11 and also

>has dependencies on Boost.System, Boost.Thread, Boost.Chrono,

>and Boost.DateTime. Much of the functionality provided by those

>Boost libraries is now part of the C++11 or C++14 standard.

>Can you comment on the specific Boost dependencies

>and if the standard versions would suffice?

A good question which deserves a rationale, which I will add.

In theory, the standard version would suffice, except for Thread.
Boost.Thread provides interruption points, which the standard does not.
With the standard version, I would not be able to offer task interruption.

I rely for the other parts also on Boost because the standard version had
bugs on earlier versions of compilers, and quite some projects are still
stuck with gcc-4.9 or mingw. At some points, it seemed easier to maintain
using Boost (which also happens to be faster than the standard, at least on
my tests).

HTH,

Christophe