Subject: Re: [boost] Asynchronous library now in Boost Library Incubator
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-11-28 19:19:26

Le 28/11/2016 à 11:36, Christophe Henry a écrit :
> Hi Michael,
>
>> Thank you for submitting this library to the the incubator in
>> preparation for a review. I saw your presentation in 2014
>> and I believe that this library solves a common problem.
>> My first question: I see that the library is listed as C++11 and also
>> has dependencies on Boost.System, Boost.Thread, Boost.Chrono,
>> and Boost.DateTime. Much of the functionality provided by those
>> Boost libraries is now part of the C++11 or C++14 standard.
>> Can you comment on the specific Boost dependencies
>> and if the standard versions would suffice?
>
> A good question which deserves a rationale, which I will add.
Hi Henry,
> In theory, the standard version would suffice, except for Thread.
> Boost.Thread provides interruption points, which the standard does not.
> With the standard version, I would not be able to offer task interruption.
Could you explain why task interruption is associated to thread
interruption?

> I rely for the other parts also on Boost because the standard version had
> bugs on earlier versions of compilers, and quite some projects are still
> stuck with gcc-4.9 or mingw. At some points, it seemed easier to maintain
> using Boost (which also happens to be faster than the standard, at least on
> my tests).

Whow, glad to hear Boost.Thread is working for you Henry.

I believe that Michael is however right. Boost libraries restricted to
C++11 should use the standard library as much as possible.

It would be great to have a specific C++11 (language and standard
library) version of your library.

Good luck with the review,

Vicente

P.S. I've in my todo's list implement thread interruption on top of the
standard as Anthony showed in his book, but I have no time to work on
this now.