Subject: Re: [boost] What is http://downloads.sourceforge.net/boost/boost_1_63_0.tar.bz2 ?
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-02-09 15:31:54

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 7:21 AM, Jonathan Wakely via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 9 February 2017 at 15:14, Neil Groves via Boost wrote:
> > The actions required from this, as I see them are:
> > 1. eliminate the forwarding of the URL to snapshots. This may require
> > altering the filename of the archive based on earlier discussions about
> > the source forge forwarding logic. Perhaps include snapshot and date in
> > the archive name?
>
> Someone (Rene IIRC) has previously stated that putting a date in the
> filename would be problematic, as the CI scripts would need to keep
> looking for a different filename (and the date the CI jobs run might
> not be the same day as the last snapshot was made). Just putting
> "snapshot" in the name would be sufficient to show it's not the
> release, and maintain a stable name for the CI processes to look for.

I'm traveling, and busy, for work this week so I haven't had a chance to
look at making those changes. Earliest I can get to it is this weekend. If
someone else wants to give it a shot the CI release build script is here:
https://github.com/boostorg/release-tools/blob/develop/ci_boost_release.py

> > 2. produce a well-known download location for the hash, so that our
> > release archives are able to be validated by scripts.
>
> While that might be useful in general, it wouldn't be for me, so don't
> do it on my behalf.

It could be helpful for the release managers to have the hashes generated
automatically as part of the CI build (less manual work is good). If
someone wants to give that a try the script above is where it would go :-)

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything