Subject: Re: [boost] [review queue] What to do about the library review queue?
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-14 17:35:02

Boost - Dev mailing list wrote
> Dear Boost,
>
> I see that new candidate Boost libraries entering the review queue have
> exploded in recent years, with no less than *twenty-three* proposed
> libraries awaiting a review.

Contrary to what some people have expressed, I do think that Boost should
strive
to include more libraries (but not at any cost, of course). The reason is
that
part of Boost's reason to be is being a workbench for libraries that aim to
get
standardized, so we can get real world experience. This does not mean that
we
should trade quality or general usefulness for quantity, but I think it
wouldn't
harm to clear that review queue and get more potential candidates for
standardization.
One problem with C++ is the lack of a rich ecosystem of libraries (look at
Java!).
Boost can help address that.

I won't make any comment regarding using money to encourage review managers;
I don't have a formed opinion about this. However, I would be comfortable
with
requiring Boost authors to manage a review within [some period of time] of
their library being accepted. Independently of this, I have decided to
manage
the review for CallableTraits.

I think we should edit the page containing the review queue to better
advertise
that we're looking for review managers, and also explain how to become one.
Currently, you have to scroll all the way down and read text in small font.

Louis