Subject: Re: [boost] [review queue] What to do about the library review queue?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-15 11:36:08

degski wrote:

> Robert Ramey gave a presentation (Cppcon15 (16?)) regarding the process
> people go through picking a library. I though it was interesting, because
> (at the time I did not know RR was the author of the serialization lib), I
> went through this process and rejected his library for exactly the reasons
> he pointed out in his presentation, picking cereal
> (https://uscilab.github.io/cereal/index.html) in stead. A one page manual,
> header only. I solved my problem 5 minutes later. I've never looked back.

Cereal looks like a very competent rewrite of Serialization in C++11, minus
support for raw pointers plus support for shared_ptr from day one, which is
a big structural advantage. At the time Boost.Serialization was written,
support for raw pointers and arbitrary object graphs using new/delete was
all the rage. It didn't age well. boost::shared_ptr wasn't standard too,
just some ordinary user-defined type, much less important than raw pointers.
:-)