Subject: Re: [boost] [release] 1.64.0 Delayed because of Microsoft (version numbers)
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-17 20:22:45
On 3/17/2017 11:12 AM, Rene Rivera via Boost wrote:
> Sorry to say the beta release of 1.64.0 is hereby going to be delayed for
> at least another week. The confusion of VS2017 version numbers and the
> communities inability to address this issue after the beta is to blame.
> To address the situation the beta release will be published when one of the
> two tasks below are completed:
> (A) Boost Config changes to use 1410 as the autolink version to match what
> the currently working generated libs are taggeg with.
> (B) The community decides what version number we should be using and the
> appropriate PRs are filed and applied and tested for all the repos
> involved. Which means:
> 1. The community has until 12:00 CDT US March 18 to decide on what the vc
> version number and tag should be.
> 2. The community must post PRs for the places where we reference VS2017
> version numbers to the new number. Those are at least:
> People have until 17:00 CDT Monday March 20 to submit those PRs.
> 3. The community can test the resulting master snapshot when available at
> the latest 24:00 Monday March 20.
> 4. If all goes well we can have a beta release on Wednesday March 22 (ie
> one week late).
I have discovered that Visual Studio 2017 itself actually has no current
documentation available, so even Microsoft has released its own product
before it should even have been released. Therefore I think you are
doing the absolutely correct thing and there is no point in trying to
rush Boost 1.64 until the issue with VS2017 version numbers are tested
and resolved. Thanks for all the work that you and others have done and
are doing to resolve this issue.