Subject: Re: [boost] [Stacktrace] Second review begins today 17th Mar ends 26th Mar
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-18 14:39:01

Antony Polukhin wrote:

> windows.h is a minor problem of a single platform.

windows.h is not a minor problem at all. It defines one million macros.

> It already has an ultimate fix - use the non header-only version of the
> library.

This is not a decision that a library developer can make. If I'm writing a
header-only library (that does nothing Windows-specific), I absolutely
CANNOT afford to include <windows.h>, which means that I can't include
stacktrace.hpp. Whether BOOST_STACKTRACE_LINK is defined is not up to me.

> > This makes no sense to me, especially since frame is constructible from
> > void const*. stacktrace is just an array of frames.
>
> It also increases the risk that people will capture the frames in a wrong
> way:

Not quite seeing that risk, given that the default constructor is much
easier to use. You have to go out of your way to capture manually, for which
presumably you have reasons.