Subject: Re: [boost] Attn: New Boost library policy text ready for approval (was: Re: [review queue] Proposed new policy to enter the review queue)
From: David Sankel (camior_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-21 22:39:41

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 1:30 PM, Niall Douglas via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 17/03/2017 12:51, Niall Douglas via Boost wrote:
> > Ok, I've asked boost-steering for feedback on this policy change. If
> > they approve, I'll do up a beta of the Boost website for people to
> > check, and if all okay it'll go live.
> >
> > The boost-steering policy change discussion request can be found at
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/boost-steering/rJPWdYodmtQ/JjaS-Kj4BgAJ
> > for those interested.
>
> There has been no objection to the proposed new policy for entering the
> review queue from boost-steering.
>
> The proposed reformed policy page for submitting a library for review to
> Boost can be found at
> https://boost-website.nedprod.com/development/submissions.html. If you
> object to this new policy page, now is the time to say.
>
> I'll give it until end of Wednesday 22nd March before I issue the pull
> request to boostorg/website.
>
> If there is no objection, once the new policy is onto the public
> website, we'll clear from the review queue all libraries without review
> managers attached to them. If you had been thinking of volunteering to
> review manage a library in the queue, now is the time to make yourself
> known.

Thanks Niall for putting this together! A few comments:

   - "Otherwise, you will just end up wasting everyone's time." This
   sentence is a bit abrasive. I suggest striking it.
   - "If what you really want is a site that will just post your library
   without even looking at it, you should go elsewhere." likewise
   - "and the emotional demands of a formal review" likewise. If you want
   to give the reader a heads up about the ego-crushing force of critiques by
   brilliant people, I would probably word it differently.
   - "Too often" . . . this sounds a bit rantish.

Actually, I think I'll stop here for now. I like the idea of this and I
think you've got a lot of good ideas in here. The wording needs a little
TLC IMHO. Would you be willing to let me take a stab at massaging it a bit?

-- David