Subject: Re: [boost] [outcome] expected vs. result
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-05-25 15:04:26

Le 25/05/2017 à 16:34, Niall Douglas via Boost a écrit :
>> It would be very helpful to have a documentation for comparing all types,
>> expected, option, outcome, and result, showing the use cases and best
>> practices. I have some hard time to understand what one can do and the
>> other can not and in which cases I should prefer one.
> One thing very obvious in this review so far is how overwraught it has
> made that choice seem.
>
> I think as soon as you start writing some code using Outcome, you'll
> find the choice flows naturally. Using this library in your code is far,
> far, far easier and more intuitive than this review makes it seem. They
> are very simple objects, and very easy to use. Often the simpler the
> object, the more bikeshedding and strong opinions and noise result.

Agree, the simpler objects need to be more careful designed as they will
be used a lot. This is the case for all the vocabulary types.

See the time spent by the committee with optional, variant.

We have not spent too much time yet for expected, but we have not
finished. Maybe we could not have it at all. Nothing is ensured until it
is ion the IS.

Best,
Vicente