Subject: Re: [boost] Proposal for moving Boost to CMake
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-06-17 10:50:16

On 17.06.2017 00:11, David Sankel wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 8:33 PM, Stefan Seefeld via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden] <mailto:boost_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>

> On 16.06.2017 19:44, David Sankel via Boost wrote:
> > Howdy all,
> >
> > This is a request for comments on a possible path for migrating
> Boost's
> > build
> > system to CMake. I am not speaking for the Boost Program
> Committee here,
> > but I
> > plan on bringing this up with them after getting feedback.
>
> So instead of substituting a tool, I would like to invite
> you to consider a few organizational changes.
> Notably, I would like to see the long-stalled modularization
> process to
> be picked up again and be continued (and completed ?).
>

> The original modularization effort called for switching to CMake, but
> it was decided that switching to git would be a good first step. I do
> think that my proposal is in support of that effort. I'd comment more
> on your proposal for something else, but that seems out of scope for
> this thread.

Can you explain how the two are related ? I understand that the current
Boost.Build logic is deficient in its support for modular builds (i.e.,
the ability for individual projects to be built stand-alone). Making
this use-case a top priority (without imposing anything in terms of how
it is implemented) would be useful. But telling everybody what to do
wouldn't.

    Stefan