Subject: Re: [boost] Encoding address-model in library names
From: Daniela Engert (dani_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-06 05:11:41

Am 06.07.2017 um 06:16 schrieb degski via Boost:
> On 6 July 2017 at 01:00, Asbjørn via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Being able to have both variants of the compiled libraries in the same
>> directory would have simplified the usage of Boost.
>
> Suitably configured global .props file(s) (they are different for 32 and 64
> bit projects) can just as easily handle seperate directories for 32 and 64
> bit libs... I like to keep them seperate so as to not having to think
> about whether a lib is 32- or 64-bits when I see a lib.

That's pretty much how we do it here with *every* 3rd-party library, not
just boost. There is absolutely no need to switch environment variables
or edit project files: select the desired configuration from Visual
Studio and start building. In some cases we build both 32 and 64 bit
side-by-side and create a single combined installer from that - all in
one go.

That said, changing the layout in the proposed way doesn't buy us
anything in our team except for the possible need to modify the build
system to support both the old and a new layout. In this sense, it
complicates things rather than simplifying them.

Ciao
   Dani