Subject: Re: [boost] Encoding address-model in library names
From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-06 05:17:15

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 9:16 PM, degski via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Suitably configured global .props file(s) (they are different for 32 and 64
> bit projects) can just as easily handle seperate directories for 32 and 64
> bit libs.

That works, sort of, but is not great if you are working on different
Boost libraries and you want to switch to a different BOOST_ROOT. And
its painful if you are using CMake because then you aren't respecting
the results of FindBoost. It can also break in subtle ways, you change
the props to an older Boost to diagnose a regression, then you open a
new solution and forget to switch and you waste time.

I've limped along with the system of modifying the User Property
Sheets (.props) for a few years, but putting 32/64 bit libs in the
same dir with different names is a far better solution.