Subject: Re: [boost] [root_ptr] Deterministic Javascript-like memory manager
From: Josh Juran (jjuran_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-07-10 02:51:13

On Jul 9, 2017, at 7:07 PM, Phil Bouchard via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I am not sure where the whole Boost memory management crew went over the years but the underlying integration with Javascript is the way to go. But thanks Boost for your support over the years.

Mostly I stick to boost::intrusive_ptr or equivalent in my own C++ code. However, as I developed my own high-level programming language[1], I discovered that having recursive closures implies having reference cycles, and I can no longer say that I’ve never written a mark-and-sweep garbage collector in anger.

[1] https://www.vcode.org/

It was essential to maintain the property of timely destruction, though, so it sounds like our respective subsystems have similar requirements.

Josh