Subject: Re: [boost] LIB CSV
From: Greger (ggh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-08-05 07:15:04

On 04.08.2017 15:41, Klaim - Joël Lamotte via Boost wrote:
> On 4 August 2017 at 12:56, Greger via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> During some time I have created this CSV library:

>> p://www.multi.fi/~ghaga/libcsv/html/index.html</a>
>>
>> (For processing of CSV tables)
>>
>> any use?good?bad?
>>

> Hi,
> a few quick remarks:
>
> - unfortunately there is no standard CSV format,
> but it's still think it would be useful to have a way to read the most
> popular variants;
> - it would be far easier for people to check this if the code was readable
> without having to download a zip file;
ok, this can be arranged
> for example putting the code on github or bitbucket is free and helps
> for people to get an idea of how you
> doe the thing the library does;
> - Why the complex name? what is Qx?
'Qx' is a prefix I use to prepend to classes/code that I create. This
can be changed/removed.
It dates back to the early days of Qt coding, when I allocated the 'qx'
prefix at TrollTech/Norway for my code.

> - "The table uses implicitly base64 encoding for cells" I have no idea what
> this mean. I understand how Unicode encodings work but not this.
This means that cell contents is converted to base64 encoding,
implicitly. You don't have to
use base64 but you can if you want to. With base64 way you can store any
kind of data, also binary, to a 'cell'. As a matter of fact, you can
encode (in turn) another table (to base64) in another cell.

eg: the below table is not encoded:
"one0","two0","three0","four0"
"one1","two1","three1","four1"
"one2","two2","three2","four2"

While this one is(base64 of the above):
"b25lMA==","dHdvMA==","dGhyZWUw","Zm91cjA="
"b25lMQ==","dHdvMQ==","dGhyZWUx","Zm91cjE="
"b25lMg==","dHdvMg==","dGhyZWU2","Zm91cjI="

> About the code:
> - I don't think storing all the data in an object is the best approach;
> - there is a lot of discutable interface choice, but I don't have time to
> list them all right now :/
> - don't open files inside the thing that read csv. You don't knkow where
> the csv data might come from,
> so just take iterators as input and let the user open the file or get
> it from memory or network for you;
>
> Joël Lamotte
My apologies if I pollute the mailing list with stuff of no use, anyhow
if someone needs it, it is available.

:)

Thank's, tc

Greg