Subject: Re: [boost] Improving Boost Docs
From: Matt Calabrese (rivorus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-08-15 18:57:15

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 4:02 AM, John Maddock via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On 15/08/2017 02:13, Soul Studios via Boost wrote:
>
>> The only thing you have to learn is Quickbook and doxygen. I see nothing
>>> "ridiculous" in that. You can ignore boostbook/docbook completely.
>>>

>> From what I recall there were about 12 different dependencies you had to
>> set up in order to render anything from quickbook, with unclear guidelines,
>> and no standard path for authoring quickbook. At any rate, I just thought
>> I'd offer my impression as someone new to boosts doc process. I'm not
>> interested in an argument.
>>

> 12? Please see: https://svn.boost.org/trac10/w
> iki/BoostDocs/GettingStarted, OK it looks a little intimidating at first,
> but there are only three required installs:
>
> xsltproc (you will almost certainly have this already on Linux).
> DocBook DTD
> DocBook XSL stylesheets
>
> After that Quickbook will build itself for you (from a Jamfile), so will
> auto_index if you want automatic indexing.

Agreed. I use quickbook for personal stuff and I've set it up several times
on various systems over the years since quickbook was first created. I
always consult the getting started, but it's never been overly complicated.

Quickbook itself is also very easy to use and is well documented.