Subject: Re: [boost] [review][Fit] Review of Fit starts today : September 8 - September 17
From: Barrett Adair (barrettellisadair_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-09-20 04:26:44

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 6:02 AM, Matt Calabrese via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> A formal review of the Fit library developed by Paul Fultz II starts
> today, September 8, and runs through September 17.
> (snip)

I recommend to ACCEPT the Fit library into Boost unconditionally.

> - What is your evaluation of the design?

I like it.

Have not reviewed in recent times. I'm very impressed with the claimed
compiler support, although I'm curious to know how Clang 4 and Clang 5 fare.

I realize the importance of an implementation review for this library, so I
trust that Matt will weigh this lightweight review appropriately.

Good. I would like to see pound-include lines added to all of the early
examples. So many times as a user of Boost I have had to cross reference
example code with the reference docs just to find the include path, which
is annoying.

> - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

Very useful! I would have used this a handful of times at work already, had
it been available in Boost.

> - Did you try to use the library? With which compiler(s)? Did you
> have any problems?

No, at least not recently.

> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick
> reading? In-depth study?

Tonight, about an hour reading documentation. Cumulatively, several hours
over the past couple of years. I have been following Fit since before the
2016 review, so I'm thrilled to see it up for review again.

> - Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

Yes, although my experience with functional programming is mostly limited
to TMP.

> - Were the concerns from the March 2016 review of Fit addressed?

N/A

Barrett Adair