Subject: Re: [boost] Recommend dropping test coverage on msvc-7.1 and msvc-8.0
From: James E. King, III (jking_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-14 13:03:15

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 8:29 AM, degski via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 14 October 2017 at 14:41, James E. King, III via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > ... but it looks like we should consider dropping msvc-7.1 and msvc-8.0.
> > These are very old compilers for Windows development.
> >

> Although I understand my opinion is not even worth 2 Cents and feel like
> Cato The Elder must have felt, I'll put them [2 Cents] in anyway.
>
> I think Boost should only support MSVC-versions, that are supported by
> Microsoft. Unsupported versions have un-supported c-run-time-libraries and
> are hencefort a danger for the planet.
>
> It would also start to simplify things a bit (probably a lot) going forward
> as we are expecting MSVC to be fully compliant (including the preprocessor
> (good news Edward!)) bar bugs, somewhere in the first half of 2018.
>
> Just to conclude: "Carthago delenda est".
>
> degski
> --
> "*Ihre sogenannte Religion wirkt bloß wie ein Opiat reizend, betäubend,
> Schmerzen aus Schwäche stillend.*" - Novalis 1798

I'm not sure whether that is too aggressive or not, but I would have no
objection
to it. I went back and looked up some EOS dates for Visual Studio releases
using: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search

Visual Studio 2005: 2008-JAN-08 (last support pack; no extended support
offered)
Visual Studio 2008: 2009-OCT-13 (last support pack; no extended support
offered)
Visual Studio 2010: 2012-APR-10 (last support pack; no extended support
offered)

---
Visual Studio 2012: 2023-JAN-10 (extended support ends)
Visual Studio 2013: 2024-APR-09 (extended support ends)
Visual Studio 2015: 2025-OCT-14 (extended support ends)
Visual Studio 2017: 2027-APT-13 (extended support ends)
Folks are still able to use older boost releases with older compilers to
continue
supporting their older applications...
- Jim