Subject: Re: [boost] Seems like I need write-access to merge a PR
From: James E. King, III (jking_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-10-25 19:12:33

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Vinnie Falco via Boost <
boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 11:26 AM, James E. King, III via Boost
> <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Vinnie, have you tried using the "Rebase and Merge" option in github?
> > It eliminates the merge, but it does make a new commit ID.
>
> I've tried all of them and I don't like any of the automated means of
> merging pull requests. I don't merge code until I have brought it on
> to my machine and compiled / ran tests. Then once it is on my machine
> there is no need to use the GitHub interface because I can simply push
> it.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of using Appveyor and Travis, or do you have
additional tests that take too long for CI builds to be useful? If you
keep some
tests to yourself, the process of vetting new code changes from outside
becomes
unmaintainable. One of the beautiful things about having CI based unit
testing
is that it enables anyone to safely work on making changes to your project
without you needing to lift a finger until all the builds pass. That's
efficient.

- Jim