Subject: Re: [boost] Adding polymorphic_value to boost
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-11-18 17:11:26

On 11/18/17 00:36, Zach Laine via Boost wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 3:14 AM, Jonathan Coe via Boost <
> boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to propose adding the class-template `polymorphic_value` to boost.
>>
>> `polymorphic_value` is designed to allow the compiler to correctly generate
>> special member functions for classes with polymorphic components (It's
>> `any` with an interface).
>>
>> `polymorphic_value` has been proposed for standardisation in P0201 and has
>> advanced through the Library Evolution group in Albuquerque (Nov 5-10).
>> https://wg21.link/p0201
>>
>> A working draft of the proposal and implementation can be found at
>> https://github.com/jbcoe/polymorphic_value
>>
>> I gave a presentation about polymorphic_value at C++::London here:
>> https://skillsmatter.com/skillscasts/9539-a-polymorphic-value-type-for-c-
>> plus-plus
>>
>> Matt Calabrese has kindly offered to be review manager.
>>

> Not only do I want to see this put forth for review, but I'd also like to
> see its review fast-tracked, since it's a target for standardization
> currently being examined by LEWG.

Not knowing anything about `polymorphic_value`, I welcome a new library
submitted for a review, but I don't see why the review should be
fast-tracked. Fast-tracked reviews are typically performed on something
that the community is very familiar with (not only the concept but the
implementation as well), which basically means it has to undergo a full
review first. That the library is also being reviewed by someone else
(e.g. LEWG) does not mean it has a free entry into Boost.