Subject: Re: [boost] C++03 / C++11 compatibility question for compiled libraries
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2018-02-18 16:33:48

What do you mean by "require C++11" ? People keep repeating this but
everyone seems to have a different meaning. To me it actually means
absolutely nothing.

+1

Boost doesn't 'require' any compiler and Boost doesn't 'support' any compiler.

> It means I would not invest any energy in C++03 compatibility. If it
> happens to be compatible, that's fine. But I wouldn't go out of my way
> to make it so. And where possible I would use C++11 features and
> idioms since they improve both the interface and the implementation.

That's *exactly* what is happening now!

And some people are even writing libraries that require C++17 (Outcome?) and beyond (YAP?).

We should only be cautious about accepting libraries requiring C++ standards that are in vaporware mode like C++23 ;-)

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse